Bronwyn is learning guitar. One headache we’ve already encountered is that there doesn’t appear to be a site which allows you to simply enter the chords you know, and have a list of matching songs returned.
So I’m thinking of writing one.
And, because I’m not really interested in chords myself, I’m going to make this into a sort of competitive site where songs and players can be ranked by difficulty/skill.
Bronwyn’s requirements will be easy to meet:
- record the chords you know (or choose them from a list)
- search a database of songs that match that list.
- The songs will either show the tab/chords for the song in a page on the site, or will link to an external source if I can’t put them on the site for some reason (copyright, etc).
- record the songs you know/are learning, so you can easily keep track of them.
For myself, and I suspect a lot of others, there’s a more complex list:
- rank songs according to how many people know it vs are learning it (simple difficulty algorithm)
- allow people to link to youtube/etc videos of themselves playing the song
- allow people to optionally be ranked according to the songs they’ve mastered – this adds a bit of competition and therefore interest to the site
- people with high ranks need to prove it. allow other high-ranked people to request a specific song that the person says they know – that person then has a week to upload a video of them playing it or they lose credibility.
- credibility is ranked 0-100, and measures how much a person can be believed. it’s only shown in cases where a person is obviously lying.
Anything else i should try to place in the requirements list before I start writing?