Journalists should not be allowed away with this. I was reading through the morning news, and came across the word “burglarized” in an NY Journal News article. After looking at it in disbelief, I checked it out – it’s an actual accepted word!
What annoys me is that there is a perfectly efficient word “burgled” to use here instead of “burglarized”. The latter is a bastardisation of the English language.
To put it in perspective, I imagine that at some point in the future, some person may alert the police the the fact that they have been “burglarizidated”.
I blame George Bush.
Jareth was being a little quiet, so I went into the sitting-room to see what he was up to. This is what I saw:
And this was him at Halloween – dressed as a witch/warlock/wizard. Not clearly visible is the cape – made from an old cloth trenchcoat that I had.
This is cool. It’s a live search box. As you type, it requests results from a search engine (in that case, a blog-search), and presents the results in real-time.
Update: This is a very old entry. The project has a new home at jonabad.com.
Okay! Here’s a trick.
I was reading about xmlhttprequest and xml-rpc recently, and it got me all fired up – full of bright ideas.
Here’s my first practical use – the calendar on this site now uses an xmlhttprequest method to determine what posts appear on what date – give it a try – go back a few months using the calendar.
All you need to do is extract these files to your /wp-includes/ directory, then stick the following line in your template:
That’s it! *
The current script works in Firefox, but probably not IE. If you want it to also work in IE, then load up this library as well as my one – it makes up for some of IE’s inadequacies.
update – 2004-11-10 – I linked to the xmlhttprequest script to give it IE compatibility. As far as I know, though, a creative commons license can’t be used for commercial purposes, though – so if you use this script for your work, then you’ll have to write your own IE compatibility layer.
update – 2004-11-11 – I just noticed that Dean Edwards’ IE compatibility layer has been updated with a new xml objects module which can emulate Mozilla’s xmlhttprequest functionality.
update – 2004-12-21 – the script was designed to work with a fairly fresh CVS install of wordpress. If you have edited your template at all, make sure that the calendar is contained in an element which has
id="calendar" to identify it.
update – 2005-07-14 – noticed this page is still getting a few hits. Please go here to get the most recent work on this project.